Israeli Krav Maga is a defensive combative system that is dominantly used by the Israeli military and secret service, U.S. Marines, U.S. Special Forces, ATF, FBI, CIA and many other military and law enforcement agencies worldwide. It was derived from street-fighting skills developed by a Hungarian-Israeli martial artist named Imi Lichtenfeld, who made use of his training as a boxer and wrestler as a means of defending the Jewish quarter against fascist groups in Bratislava, Czechoslovakia in the mid-to-late 1930s. In the late 1940s, following his migration to Israel, he began to provide lessons on combative training to what was to become the Israeli Defense Forces, who went on to develop the system that became known as Krav Maga. It has since been refined for civilian, police and military applications. It has become famous for its easy learning curve, its simplicity and when needed, its brutal effectiveness.
The name Krav Maga is a Hebrew term that means Contact (Maga) Combat (Krav). ‘Krav’ was notably first used in the Old Testament when Isaac wrestles with Gabriel, the angel of death. In 1998, Imi passed away leaving the management of the system to his most senior student, Haim Gidon. Haim is the highest ranked Krav Maga practitioner in the world and is the current Grandmaster and President/co-founder (along with Imi) of the original organization, The Israeli Krav Maga Association, based in Netanya, Israel.
The Gidon System is a forward-thinking program that allows the practitioner an extreme advantage over their assailants, regardless of their size. The course material you are going to learn with the Gidon System has been developed and mastered over the past 70+ years and is constantly adapting and improving based on modern criminal and terrorist elements’ tactics, techniques and procedures. The Nashville affiliate is one of only five American entities that teach this system.
Brandon began professional combative training in the Marine Corps in 2002 and has trained formally in Krav Maga since 2008. He is a first-generation student of both GM Haim Gidon and the IKMA’s senior instructor, Yigal Arbiv. Brandon is an 8-year combat veteran of the U.S. Marine Corps, a Security and Risk Management Consultant, trainer of military and SWAT police, former Field Security Advisor the United Nations missions in Baghdad and Erbil, an Executive Protection Officer and Emergency Trauma First Responder.
Brandon’s operational history combined with the Gidon System curriculum will deliver great reward in your experience with us. From rare and direct lineage of the founder of the system, you will learn many new things and make many new friends along the way. In our program, we carry forward the simple, yet powerful ethos of Imi Lichtenfeld…
“So that one may walk in peace”
Classes are offered Monday and Wednesday from 6-7:00pm. Cost is $100 per month (no contract). If you are a current re:MOVE//Client you will receive a 50% discount. We invite you to come out and try your first class for free!
How long is class?
- Gym/Active-type pants (shorts are NOT recommended), t-shirt and normal athletic shoes are common. We recommend the use of a ‘rash guard’ or compression underpants and undershirts to be layered with outer garments.
- Groin protection (MANDATORY FOR ALL MALE STUDENTS). Hard cup with support apparatus/compression shorts. There are combination compression/athletic cup options available online
- Mouth Guard - Strongly recommended to be used by all students.
- Shin Guards – MMA/Martial Arts type. ‘Step In’ or ‘Strap-on’ are both good. We use these when training the use of our legs for low blocks and strikes.
- Gloves or Hand Wraps. – Lightweight, MMA style gloves are recommended. 4-6oz. Anything over that is not recommended. We advise picking a pair that still allows for the use of your grip and articulation of your finger joints.